What is safe for people, may not be safe for animals.
Many people are already aware that chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats, but there are many more common items you may have in your house that are safe for people, but not for our pets!
Around the House:
Many over the counter medications that we commonly use on ourselves can be dangerous to animals. Any pain relievers such as aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin), and acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be toxic. Vitamins or prescription medications can also be a problem because they may not be appropriate for animals.
Decorative plants can certainly brighten up a house/yard, and while many of them are harmless, others can cause anything from upset tummies to organ failure. If you suspect your pet of nibbling on leaves, try to move the plant out of reach. Do not use cocoa mulch in areas your pet has access to. If you are not sure if your plant is dangerous, you can search by both plant name and photo on the ASPCA.org website and search toxic plants.
We all love to eat, and our pets are no exception. Dogs and cats cannot eat chocolate, grapes/raisins or macadamia nuts. Even seasonings such as onions and garlic may be harmful to pets. Many sugar-free products contain xylitol – this can be fatal to animals, so be sure to keep gum, mints and any other sugar-free foods out of reach.
To find out more about common household toxins or for questions on this information, contact us!